Hey, all! Lindsey here! 🙂
PCS, HHG, UB………what to the what?!? Yea, I’ve felt the same! We are currently smack dab in the middle of our first PCS and boy is it a big one! We are moving from Missouri to Germany! Just yesterday the movers came and picked up our unaccompanied baggage shipment so I thought I’d share my experience and some tips that worked out well for me for packing unaccompanied baggage!
Packing Unaccompanied Baggage
So, overall everything went great! I didn’t have anything “not authorized,” and I was under our weight limit of 900lbs! Woot Woot 🙂 First I read about a million sites and blogs to try and figure out what went in each shipment and the general idea for unaccompanied baggage (let’s just call it UB) was just the essentials for living. Now yes, that means like me you will have to come to grips with the fact that decor is not an essential! Boo! So really, just the basics for cooking, bathing, lounging and sleeping.
*I don’t have any kiddos so you will need to adjust this list for that 🙂
Your List for Packing Unaccompanied Baggage
- Shower curtain
- Shower rod
- Shower curtain holders
- toilet brush
- bath mat
- towels, hand towels, and wash clothes
- Small trash cans
- Heating pad
- first aid kit
Cooking and Cleaning:
- Cooking Spoon
- Two cutting boards
- cookie sheet
- sandwich bags
- trash bags
- two coffee mugs
- coffee pot
- two forks, spoons, and knives
- Plastic bowls and plates.
- dog bowls
- two 5lb unopened bags of dog food
- new sponges
- spice rack
- coffee filters
- kitchen towels
- Vacuum- mine only fit because it comes apart!
- Dust pan-A full broom will not fit!
- Sheets-one king and one queen because who knows what we will get while we wait for our mattress
- house shoes
- Doggie bed
- Two big plastic bins filled with extra clothes
- Small ironing board
- All our filing binders- basically everything most people keep in a filing cabinet I keep in binders per year so I had 7 total
- Family albums
So everything has to fit in these big boxes like in the picture…sorry I didn’t get the actual measurements! A broom will not fit!
After Packing Unaccompanied Baggage?-ThePick-UP
Well in true Army fashion I got up super early to get ready because they said they would be there between 8-9 but closer to 8…..welp you probably guessed it! They were super late! They came rolling in at 10:15! So it was just two very strong women! They came in and introduced themselves, and asked to be shown what they would be moving.
I had put everything for our unaccompanied baggage express shipment in one empty guest room. I did this so I could easily see for inventory, and so that they wouldn’t have any reason to be anywhere else in my house! They seemed super happy with the organization! So then they brought in all the packing paper and boxes. They assembled the heavy duty boxes and taped the living crap out of them! Once they had the boxes ready one lady sat and wrote down every little detail about what was going in while the other actually put the items in the box. It was crazy how specific they were! Once one box was filled, they taped it all up, then they wrote everything that was on the inventory sheet on the side of the box.
I signed a seal that I watched them place on both ends and then we were on the second box! The same process happened to the second box then they had me sign the following:
- Customer responsibilities guide
- Statement of Accessorial Services Performed
- Two Descriptive inventory pages
- Origin and destination checklist
- High risk/High-value inventory
After I signed they gave me copies and loaded the boxes onto their truck! Easy Peasy!
Military Unaccompanied Baggage Checklist
- Put everything in one room!
- Group all your items in that room along the wall on the floor. DO NOT pack anything, because they will just unpack it!
- Do not waste time trying to sneak in anything you shouldn’t! They are very careful!
- Put your important filing cabinet papers (bills, and records) in this shipment, NOT your household goods shipment. (Of course put anything of super importance in your PCSing binder!)
- Stay in the room while they pack! Trust me, it will feel awkward to just be standing there but then they can’t get away with ANYTHING!- I have heard horror stories!
- Offer the movers drinks! Kill them with kindness so they treat your stuff with care 🙂
- Take pictures of the boxes, and of the stuff in the room before packing.
- Take your own inventory
- Keep the papers they give you in your PCSing binder
- Don’t try and put anything too tall/long!
Feel free to ask questions! I had so many before my movers came!
Don’t forget to grab your free printable to save for later!
Happy moving ladies!
-LindseyWant more? Head over here for more PCS tips and tricks!